Saturday 14 April 2012

GRAPES OF WRATH

First Edition cover
Steinbeck

On the 14th April 1939, John Steinbeck’s novel The Grapes of Wrath was first published by Viking Press.


"I'll be all around in the dark, I'll be everywhere, wherever you can look, wherever there's a fight so hungry people can eat, I'll be there, wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there, I'll be there in the way guys yell when they're mad, I'll be there in the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they know supper's ready, and when the people are eatin' the stuff they raised and livin' in the houses they build, I'll be there too"

Here is one of the final scenes from the 1940 film directed by John Ford and featuring Jane Darwell as Ma Joad and Henry Fonda as Tom.




There’s also a review from Jonathan Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment