Tuesday 5 February 2013

DA DA DA DAH


I looked for musical Identity on the web and came across a Multimedia Library that offers ‘the Electronic Dictionary of Musical Themes’.  This was originally compiled by Harold Barlow and Sam Morgenstern. It is one of the most generous compilations I have come across. On scrolling though I came upon the various themes for Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony. The themes are so familiar that on hearing the first couple of notes of any one of them, the piece is instantly identified. Perhaps I am mistaken in this belief, but I think not. I went on to you tube and listened to a wonderful performance by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra conducted by Louis Langrée. Have a listen, even if you didn’t know what you had listened to in the past, the music will remind you.

No comments:

Post a Comment