Thursday 19 January 2023

CHARLES CARNE - A SHORT APPRECIATION

A friend, Charles Carne, died this week. He was a good and wonderful friend. A talented and thoughtful man. In his later life he became a counsellor and teacher of photography. He had a wonderful sense of humour, a quick wit and was very skilled at teasing people. His nearest and dearest may have had other views about him but we all loved him. I am fortunate enough to be godfather to his son Leo.

.

 

In 2005/6 Charles had enrolled at Roehampton University to do, if I remember correctly, a course in Sociology.  In late August of that year, Charles and I were on our way to France to collect some champagne and during the course of the journey, I told him that I had sent off for a prospectus from Dartington College of Art as the list of ‘University Clearing’ places indicated there was a writing course on offer at Dartington not far from Moretonhampstead where we had a house. Charles was very emphatic and said it was a waste of time waiting, and that if I really wanted to do it I should ring and make an appointment to see someone to discuss the situation. The 2006 term was not that far off in September, only a few weeks away. He was right of course and I did what he said, and ended up starting that September.  It was a rapid change of pace. I shall forever be indebted to him.

 

He was later to give me very good advice on the writing of essays. He did say that he sometime found it difficult to write the length of essay some subjects seemed to require, whereas I, on the other hand, found it difficult to edit the essays down to the required limit. He was always far more concise, which is, no doubt, why he was a good Counsellor to many as well as a teacher to his Photographic group.

 

He and Sally were together for over 50 years, and by the look of them one would think they must have got together as babies.

It is difficult to write about a friendship that has lasted some forty years. Not easy to recall the numerous conversations and events that took place over many a lunch and supper around the UK, France and Italy. Wonderful times at La Coupole and Le Terminus Nord in Paris, La Taverna Marconi in Lazise on the shore of Lago di Garda, and in Verona. I confess that I am a bit lost for words. There is just so much more stuff and one assumed it would simply go on and on. Alas not. I will miss him a lot.

Goodbye Charlie xxxxx

 



1 comment:

  1. Thank you Edward. Charles was a lovely man, kind and funny. It was a joy having him join us near Verona for our football tournament. He took some terrific photographs which were appreciated by all the Albion team. I sign off like you with a fond farewell. Goodbye Charles.

    ReplyDelete