I know many people have already made comment about the about the disgraceful way in which Argentina played in the World Cup, but I feel impelled to add to that commentary. I cannot understand where that appalling violence exhibited by the Argentinian team came from. This is a squad whose players ordinarily play in Europe, and many who play in the English League, including Aston Villa, Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea and Liverpool. On the European mainland we have Marseille, Benfica, Strasbourg, Inter Milan and four of their forwards play for Atletico Madrid.
The European leagues are not known for violence. Strong uncompromising play maybe, but not outright thuggery and violence. There is a will to win, but to win at all costs regardless of rules of the game? The number of times I saw opposing players pushed and pulled to the ground, virtually knee capped and deliberate elbowing in the body and neck, was outrageous. How the referees let that sort of behaviour continue on the pitch is stupefying. I appreciate they can’t have eyes everywhere or see through people, but there are four linesman who are not there just to flag offside. They also have a role as referees to spot infringements and seriously dangerous play. That is what the Argentina teamed produced throughout theses games, seriously dangerous play.
I am baffled by a team which has some very gifted players, who would ordinarily coordinate their team play for strategic effect and flow, and instead became so desperate to win back to back world cups, that they threw away everything they know about real football and resorted to punching and kicking the opposition off the park, rather than playing them off the park. The after game, appalling sportsmanship, bad faith resentment, spilling over into deliberate attack of opposing players, was an outrage and should result in the team being admonished though some sort of suspension from world cup qualification in the future and a heavy financial penalty.
I am not an avid football fan, but I do like to watch and admire the skill exhibited by the players. Not only the balletic forwards and midfielders, but the defenders who do not score as many goals, but save the day in many different ways.
Last night's shameful display by Argentina against a truly unified Spanish ensemble was shocking, and the thought that Argentina might actually score a fluke goal and/or win on penalties was deeply disturbing. It is no wonder most of the rest of the world watching were overjoyed at the Spanish win. If ever skill over thuggery was destined to triumph, last night’s event proved it. I’m pretty sure the Argentinian fans, deep down, were ashamed and embarrassed by the spectacle they watched despite their obvious adoration of their international team. They certainly made their feelings felt for Mr Messi who was clearly moved by the support for him. Tears in his eyes were not for losing the match, but for the emotion he experienced looking up at that crowd of supporters showing their appreciation and respect for him, despite the loss.
Few people get to experience that kind of popular approbation in life. It’s a shame it had to be expressed in such sadly shameful circumstances.
What actually occurs in our minds when we use language with the intention of meaning something by it? What is the relation subsisting between thoughts, words, or sentences, and that which they refer to or mean? What relation must one fact (such as a sentence) have to another in order to be capable of being a symbol for that other? Using sentences so as to convey truth rather than falsehood?
Monday, 20 July 2026
WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ARGENTINA ?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Excellent post just what I as quadrennial footie fan thought last night. I fear the answer may tell us much about a .lot of Argentinian public opinion.
ReplyDeleteYes Ed. Well argued but don’t forget some feelings are Tribal!? West side story, Romeo. and Juliet? Shame entered the arena last night as the Argentina team knew they had let their country down. Guilty! !iain
ReplyDelete