Tuesday 10 December 2013

MORE POETICS

















Whilst pondering a few past memories together with Ian Price, I subsequently came across some notes on the poetic form of a Villanelle - a nineteen-line poetic form consisting of five tercets followed by a quatrain. One of the most famous Villanelles is Dylan Thomas’ “Do not go gentle into that goodnight”
This exercise from the time of wars in the Middle East was intended for Blair and Bush:
 What is it you can see that makes you weep?
What is it you can see that makes you weep?
Have they no shame who send men out to fight
But, let it pass, close your eyes, go to sleep.

The tanks roll out, mow them down like sheep
This horrible display of western might
What is it you can see that makes you weep?

“But I believe I’m right” I hear them bleat
Order men to kill? Never ever right.
But, let it pass, close your eyes, go to sleep.

So many bodies in the sun, dead meat
Left to rot in pits, packed together tight
What is it you can see that makes you weep?

They say it’s for democracy, how neat
That voting brings on civil war and blight
But, let it pass, close your eyes, go to sleep.

Can they not hear, see what it is they reap
These believing men who are not so bright
What is it you can see that makes you weep?
Let it pass, close your eyes, but you can’t sleep.

Not brilliant, but it was fun to play around with the form. I also found a series of questions, pondering the matter of who, what, where, when, how and why?  For the ordinary person:

Who does he think is going to look after us now?
What did he think we would be able to do?
Where does he think we are going to live now?
When did he think about us at all?
How does he think we are going to survive?
Why did he abandon us?

Who did this man say he was?
What is the reason for all these people?
Where did he say he was taking me?
When will I see the children again?
How do I know if I need a lawyer?
Why do I have to answer any questions?

Who can I make see that we are innocent?
What can I do to make them to leave us alone?
Where do I find the right person to speak for us?
When will I be allowed to make contact?
How is it they can keep me like this?
Why am I being denied my voice

Who has ever listened to what I have to say?
What have I ever done to make my voice heard?
Where did I ever try to use my voice?
When did I ever try to take a stand?
How is it I ever let this happen?
Why should I be so surprised now?

No comments:

Post a Comment