Wednesday 13 October 2021

RULE OF LAW TALK CANCELLED

Sadly, the talk I was about to give at a local school to year seven pupils (Age 11-12) has been cancelled owing to a tragic death concerning the school. The head teacher cancelled all of the extra-curricular events – what she referred to as an “off timetable day” - that were scheduled for the 14th October, but she will try to fit them in another day. I was frankly disappointed as I had more or less polished up the routine and think I may have got a few laughs.

 

One of the aspects of rules and regulations that I hoped to discuss with the young students was the matter of signage, in particular road signs. They are the only true universal language that is in force in every country round the world. Any road user, no matter where they are from, can drive along a road in any country, and will understand the various signs indicating direction, speed, road surface and assorted conditions and activities on the road ahead. It is what keeps us safe in so much as, most of the time, the signs are obeyed. It is an example of the rule of law in action.




 

 

The red octagonal sign, even without the word, is indication enough as to what is required.

There are occasions, however, when artistic licence takes a hand, as in this bit of sign editing from a road in Italy, indicates:

The changes are very subtle and done with great care.

I confess I have second thoughts about using this later example, as I might be thought to be encouraging graffiti as a means of expression. Not something one should do in the classroom; however, it does indicate the artist's penchant for romanticism and an aversion to manual labour of the civic kind. 

 

In any event, my purloined version of the origins of the rule of law, or, 'how the law got started' by Lenny Bruce, will have to wait for another day. I think and hope that I have improved on it (my version, not Lenny's) but a reaction from the young scholars will be the true test.  I will inform of any future bookings, but for the nonce, more of this anon.

1 comment: