Monday 25 November 2013

Non mittam digitum meum in eo

Re The PhD – Research Degree Program I have embarked upon. I have reluctantly applied to be suspended from studies - Suspending – means you are temporarily absent from your course. You have not left and are still classed as a student.  One is in limbo.
Currently, I am left hanging, waiting to find out if I can be left hanging. If allowed to be suspended, I shall still be attached. That is to keep me from falling; although, I will be allowed free movement. I will of course refrain from forming any conclusions, or concluding in any way. Indeed, being suspended I am kept from sinking to the floor to avoid forming a deposit. There may be some leakage and perhaps some staining may result, but nothing that could be quantified as a substance, not even of any kind.

My mind is baffled. It is perplexed about a number of things. It is not something I can put my finger on.
‘Non riesco a individuarlo con precision’ as the Italian might say. A very literal translation would be that one “cannot succeed in individualising with precision”. Or perhaps as Marcellus says to Horatio in the following dialogue:
Horatio: “…To what issue will this come?”
Marcellus “Something is rotten in the State of Denmark” 
Horatio  “Heaven will direct it”
Marcellus. “ Nay, let’s follow him”

Clearly heaven will not disclose ‘the thing’ I cannot put a finger on, nor is there any Hamlet to follow; although, following one of the most accomplished ditherers around is perhaps not the best plan. So I dither solo.
I am decidedly full of althoughs, perhapses and ifs.

I searched the word 'baffle' on You tube.  What is Fox News?

No comments:

Post a Comment