Friday 8 March 2013

FURTHER THOUGHTS ON DAYTONA


Having had further thoughts about Oliver Cotton’s play Daytona, I should add that the work is not only about the question of writing identity. I am once again reminded of the tunnel vision that comes with one’s current obsession: “Well there’s this nurse…” There are many other themes brought into the mix, in particular the notion of revenge and personal justice, the idea of assuming the power of the law. The play by no means emphasises these concepts, but rather deals with them on a very personal level, thereby making them more apparent to the reader. A single simple sentence can provoke much in the mind of a reader. That is the effect of good writing. Again, if you happen to be in London, sometime later in the year, I would urge you to find the venue and see this play performed. I will be placing further and better particulars on the blog as time goes by. Where have I heard that before?

Beaugrande (aka Shoemaker) (?)
In keeping with further discoveries, I am surprised not to have come across Robert de Beaugrande before now.  Much to look at including Text, Discourse, and Process – Towards a Multidisciplinary Science of Texts.


I am now in possession of Roz Ivanic’s book on Writing and Identity – More of this stuff anon.

No comments:

Post a Comment