Monday 6 May 2013

IGNORANCE IS NOT BLISS


I have stopped buying newspapers. I only read papers that I find on the bus, tube, waiting room or friends’ houses. I am not too particular about which paper, although I studiously avoid tabloids. By tabloids I refer to those papers which have that tradition as opposed to format. I confess that as a result I miss quite a few decent pieces of writing and a number of topics evade my perusal. I find that even when I was buying newspapers regularly, I missed quite a few pieces of writing and a number of topics evaded my perusal. Why is that? 
Karpf
Recently I posted a blog on the 27th March 2013 entitled Where’s my security blanket? It was concerned with Donald Winnicott and his notions on the true self, the false self and the transitional object. I later heard a piece on Radio 4’s Archive on 4, broadcast on the 4th May presented by Anne Karpf, which I find was based on an article by her in the Guardian published on the 19th April. Anne Karpf is also a regular contributor to the Guardian and has, according to her Linked in details, since 1975. Why did I not know that? Why have I missed reading her stuff?  She lists her Education as South Hampstead High School and was a postgraduate student at the Polytechnic of the South Bank for one year (1980-81). She has been Reader in Professional Writing and Cultural Enquiry at the London Metropolitan University for nearly 8 years. This position is clearly based on her writing skills and writing practice as opposed to her academic qualifications.

We all have blind spots. Some of us have blind canyons. Had it not been for the coincidence of an interest in the work of Donald Winnicott I would have continued in ignorance of this accomplished writer. I am appalled at this growing and widening gap in my thinking, despite my efforts at research.  It makes me want to reach out for any form of security blanket.

No comments:

Post a Comment